Those who plant in tears will harvest SHOUTS OF JOY. They weep as they plant their seed, but they sing as they return with the HARVEST.



Psalm 126:5-6

Tuesday, September 28, 2010

A Child's Heart

It seems like the last week and a half the children have really been struggling with getting chores done. They think as soon as school is finished it is time to play. So I have felt like all have done lately is correct and discipline. Attitudes have been very nasty towards each other and I have been feeling very defeated. I know that kids will be kids but the training and discipline has to continue or they will have a rough time when they grow up. Today seemed especially frustrating with three of the girls. The 10 year old, 8 year old, and 6 year old were not listening at all. I told them that they had to do school and then they would have extra chores the rest of the day. I have kept them very busy.

My 8 year old has a very, very free spirit. Does everything she can to stay out of work and thinks that life should only be about having fun. Lately I have been doing a Bible study with her and the 10 year old about Pride. we have been studying what God thinks about Pride and what he thinks about Humility. It has been very eye opening to both of them and I can see their little hearts wanting to do what is pleasing to God, but that Pride just takes over.

So today I had to run to the store real quick and pick up a few groceries. While I was gone I told the older two girls they had to do their chores and then they could go back to working on their school. The oldest had chores from yesterday and today to do. When I got home from the store 8 year old had the mop out and was getting ready to mop the shoe room. I was a little shocked to say the least. I told the oldest these were her chores and she needed to do them, but I was pleasantly surprised to hear that the 8 year old offered to help her. She told her sister she had learned in Bible study that if someone needs help you need to think of others and help them. I can't believe she actually heard what I have been teaching. The Holy Spirit grabbed onto that little heart of hers and she obeyed the prompting to be a servant to her sister. Thank you Lord for this treat of seeing the fruit in my child's life.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm inspired to doing the same bible study with our 9 year old. She too struggles with pride and I just have not [yet] addressed it! Thanks for the nudge :o)

Gottjoy! said...

I love how God uses our children to encourage us!

It always seem that just around this time, we all start slacking in our chores, too. I know it is a heart issue most the time, but I still try to revitalize our system to maybe help get some of us out of a rut. Right now we are doing a ticket system for a few weeks and it is helping. Then we will get back into our regular routine and I will probably have to pull something else out new for spring.

Thanks for this sweet story!

Leanne said...

Praise God!

You know, when you were describing your day, I could only nod my head in understanding, because that sounds a lot like our days too! You are not alone in this! Just keep up the good fight and keep doing what you know God is telling you to do!

We will be implementing a new routine around here, due to the fact that suddenly, with The Babies, I have no idea what the future holds as far as bed rest and where that will take place....so we are heavily working on attitudes right now!

Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Hi! Which bible study is it?
Jessica

Tanya Ross said...

That is awesome that she is really listening to God's word. It always just blesses my heart to see kids really get it. Good job with going right back to God for His guidance.